Skip to main content

On our not-so-expressway

I counted 7 churches, 1 mosque and 3 major accidents in 2 minutes of traveling on Lagos-Ibadan expressway. They weren't the fender-bumper type of accidents. They were the car on fire, bonnet removed, and tiny-car dragged by a huge truck and wrecked beyond repair types. 

So I started thinking: Do our leaders travel these routes too? Or do they fly everywhere in their private jets? Do the citizens in charge of these road-building and maintenance contracts not hear anything in the churches and mosques services that keep us up at night? Really-no one should have to hit those sizes of potholes at expressway speed. 

We almost had an accident too. We had a flat tire, and not only was it flat, we could see how much air the tire was losing in real time because the car was fancy like that. A roadside mechanic charged us to fix it, but our dashboard warning let us know that it was back deflating within seconds. So we pretty much had our hearts in our mouths the entire trip.  Then out of nowhere, we entered this gaping hole in the road and the brakes couldn't help to completely counter the nosedive the car was taking. After a few seconds of maneuvering, we ended up on the side of the road with our flat tire even flatter. But hey we got home safely. That counts for the most points. 

I'm here wondering if instead of flooding an orphanage with more rice than they care to eat this Christmas, we should start as go-fund-me page for our inter-city express roads in Nigeria. If our records were publicly accessible, I'd be able to back my inkling that not a day passes without the loss of at least one life on these roads. Now, imagine how terrible things get during Christmas when everyone wants to go to  the village. 

I really want to add this to the sins of our failed government, (yeah maybe I will). But what has that helped us achieve so far? We voted Buhari for change and look how he has decided to recycle failed past officials to be his new ministers. I don't fully understand this so I can't judge it yet, but why the same old people who didn't yield great results?

This is the part where our people would add "may God help us". I'm sure He will, He gave us brains and hands. Let's get thinking and working for real change. 

Till next time!
Fopsy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Have a Stress Free Wedding | Wedding Planning Series

I got married recently, and I have a ton of valuable info to pass on if you're looking to have a relatively stress free wedding season. I started a youtube series on How to have a Stress Free Wedding . This series is for you if you believe wedding planning does not have to be stressful and you want some guidance from someone who's done this.  I want you to know that you can be sane, and relaxed while planning a fun wedding. And if stressful things happen, I'm telling you how to handle them too.  You can (and you should) enjoy this process., so let me teach you how! Alright, go watch the videos ! They're short and easy to digest. Some things to expect in the series:  How to define your wedding vision Budget: Why it's important to have the money talks early How to manage your emotions (and those of other stakeholders when planning)  A case for weddings on a shorter timeline  Do you need an event planner or is it just a money guzzler? How to Decide.

Adulting

Photo by Steve Johnson from Pexels This evening, my sister called me. She'd just come out of her school's prize-giving day and she was mad she didn't get any awards. Honestly, she had reason to be mad. This year, she worked super duper hard, and got grades to show for it, pretty much 100% on every test, or 97% on the 'bad' days. So, she figured at least one of those perfect grades had to count for something. But they didn't. "Not even an acknowledgement of my hard work. I really really tried this year", she said.   The thing is, this was a rant and we both knew it. Despite her hardwork, we both knew that her not getting the award meant it went to someone even more deserving. Still, it sucked. And that's how adulting feels. There are days I feel like I've worked so soo hard and something slips right out of my grasp, and I have no one to blame. Sometimes I try to blame myself, but I soon realize there's no point crying over spilled m

How we met: The Unfiltered FOBI story

Guys! I somehow managed to convince Obi to do a Youtube video with me! So it seemed fitting that we start with a "how we met" video. Enjoy! And please share your ideas for future topics...especially now that we're staying at home we have the time to make videos. You know the drill: Please Like, Comment and please subscribe. + watch something else before you leave ;) Youtube: Fopsy the Great Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/fopsythegreat/ website: fopsy.ca